Businesses are feeling somewhat more confident about economic conditions this month than earlier in the year, but they're still holding back on building inventory and feeling a bit unsure about earning trends, according to the National Federation of Independent Business' small business optimism index. A recent study may shed light on what's causing this sentiment to prevail.
A survey by the Kauffman Foundation found that one of the biggest stumbling blocks new small business owners are encountering is getting their customers to pay back their debts. The most recent figures show a 12 percent leap in businesses getting late or no payment from their customer base in the last 2 years. These figures aren't keeping businesses from introducing new products and services, according to the study's findings, but they do show sales are still a persistent issue. If you're looking for a small business loan to help keep business cash flow consistent, an online marketplace like Boefly can help you get in touch with lenders with competitive rates.
Both the Kauffman survey and the NFIB's optimism index reported that revenue and credit are issues for small business owners. While positive sentiment for obtaining credit improved slightly in the NFIB report, the Kauffman data found 60 percent of respondents were always able to get credit approval while the remaining 40 percent had to offer collateral based on blemishes in their financial histories. Despite funding problems, nearly half of businesses are still investing in assets that won't mature for a year or so, showing confidence in ongoing financial health.